To perform a mortar glass block installation on 3″ or 4″ thick glass block, it is necessary and recommended that you use a Universal 3″ & 4″ Mortar Spacer. The Universal 3″ & 4″ Mortar Spacer allows for the glass block to space evenly in order to have a stunning glass block installation.
How to Use the Universal 3″ & 4″ Mortar Spacer
Once you have chosen the perfect glass block product to use on your project, installation accessories are impacted by the number of glass block being installed. It is recommended that you purchase 1 1/2 spacers for every glass block you are planning to install.
For example, if you are doing a small 10 glass block job, take 10 and multiply it by 1.5 (10×1.5= 15 Universal 3″ & 4″ Mortar Spacer).
Preparation of Universal 3″ or 4″ Mortar Spacer
- A. Assemble the spacers for the series of block you are installing. The spacers come in two halves, snap the spacers together to fit the width of the block.
- B. Modify the spacers using tin snips based on their
- Where four block come together, spacers are used as assembled. These are called “REGULAR”.
- Where block meet the side perimeter channel, clip off both sets of smooth legs. Twist-off tabs remain in place. File off any burrs so the spacer will lay flat. These are called “FLAT”.
- For the top row of block, clip off one upper toothed leg and cut the twist off tab in half. These are called “H”.
This is a reference guide for where “REGULAR” and modified spacers are used.